Friday, February 24, 2012

Where My Ladies At?

THESE ARE OUR STORIES
(How I Became a [Female] Hockey Fan)!
I remember my first hockey game, it was the one of the last games of the '97-'98 season and I was four (and a half, as I would have informed you at the time). My dad got tickets for the the Carolina Hurricanes game versus the Capitals (Sorry, this game predetermined my devotion to the canes, though I do respect and love the Pens). This was back when the Canes still played in the Greensboro Coliseum, so, we didn't have to drive as far to get there. I remember not knowing who to root for, since my dad wasn't rooting for any of the teams (He's from Chicago and I die hard Hawks fan), so I picked the Canes, since they had the better looking jersies (I admit, this is a shallow reason to pick a team, but come on, I wasn't even five yet). I got up and clapped every time they scored that game, there were no fights during that game (Thank God, since that would've probably made four-and-a-half me cry) but one of the Canes slammed a Caps player into the glass right in front of me, and that was the moment that I decided that this was going to forever be my favorite sports. The Canes ended up losing 4-3 that game, but I didn't care. After the game, my dad was carrying me through the lobby on his shoulders and I tugged on his ear until he bought me a key chain and a pack of trading cards. That day I went home and spread them out on my bedroom floor and played eeney-meeney-miney-mo to choose my favorite player. It was Sergei Samsonov, who's still my favorite player. I watched the remainder of the games that season sitting on my dad's lap with my Barbie notepad scribbling down nonsense as my dad answered my questions. The next season I continued the process, and the next, and the next, until I finally understood the game completely. At the ripe old age of nine, I knew more than any other member of my family about hockey.

I cheered the Canes on as they hoisted the Cup in '06, and I'm still cheering them on throughout this painful season. I'm the only one of my sisters that still love them (one sister couldn't care less about hockey, and the other is now a Red Wings fan). I can talk hockey with the best of them, and often show up my guy friends with my hockey knowledge. I'm turning 17 this year, and I've loved this sport for 12 years. Hockey is, and always will be, one of the most special sports to me. It's exciting and exhilarating, and plus, I have that memory of bonding with my dad. My first game wasn't perfect, but it is in my mind.
- Cari V.
Passion for your team - I LOVE that because I know what that's all about (sticking with them through the good and the bad) and like the Penguins new commercial says, "if being a fan was easy, it wouldn't be GREAT!" ... THANKS for that great story, Cari!!

Don't forget, if you wish to submit your story, I kindly ask that you
email them directly to me so they don't end up being repetitive for some of the readers. Also, if you don't want me to include your name, please let me know that as well (what I'll normally do is put your first name and last initial if I have it OR just your screen name).

FEEL FREE TO INCLUDE A PICTURE!!


I also want to let you know I LOVE these stories (and so do alot of our readers) - I've always found it interesting no matter who the fan, so I'm enjoying ALL OF THIS IMMENSELY!! KEEP THEM COMING, but I ask that you
email them please - THANKS!!!

Also, I ask that you please BE PATIENT as I'm still receiving TONS of stories (they'll be posted in the order I received them, to be fair). If you sent in a story, it will eventually be on the blog - I promise!! ; ) JUST BE SURE TO KEEP THEM COMING (the more the better!)!! AS A NOTE, I'm currently on stories I received back in March 2010!!!

No comments: