- born in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
- plays center, shoots left
- played with the OHL Kitchener Rangers
- named to the 2000 OHL All-Rookie Team as well as the OHL Rookie of the Year
- named to CHL All-Rookie Team in 2000
- received CHL Awards (2000): Plus/Minus and Most Sportsmanlike Player
- part of the Memorial Cup Tournament All-Star Team in 2003
- won the Stafford Smythe Memorial Trophy in 2003 (Memorial Cup Tournament - MVP)
- was Buffalo's second-round draft pick in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft (AND was 32nd overall)
- spent first 2 years on Buffalo's AHL affiliate team, Rochester Americans (returned in 2004 during NHL lockout)
- made his NHL debut in 2003
- re-signed with the Sabres on July 27, 2007 to a reported $24 million / 6-year contract
- won a silver medal in the World Ice Hockey Championships (in 2000 and 2008)
- current season: led team in scoring, has 9 multi-point games - including three 3-point games, scored points in 27 / 41 games with 6 game-winning goals
Roy is a blond-haired, blue-eyed Canadian. He's 5'9 and weighs 188 pounds, so he's pretty short for a hockey player. His nickname is "Royzie."
Family and friends motivate Roy and always keeps in mind that:
"There are a lot of kids out there that would love to play in the NHL so I can not take this opportunity for granted."Although he thinks there's a lot of great players that are / have been a part of the NHL, he respects players like Steve Yzerman, Peter Forsberg and Eric Lindros.
According to SabreSFan.com, Roy has speed, good vision, and is "a budding playmaker with a bit of an attitude. Shifty, creative and determined enough to compensate for his lack of size."
After this was posted to HftL, I received a comment from sabreschic87 who wrote:
Derek Roy is my favorite Sabre. He is the nicest guy too...I have waited out behind the arena after practice for autographs and such and he always stops and signs things for everyone no matter how many people are there. And the pictures of him that are posted on here are nice...but you should see him in
person...it's even better than the pictures :)
THANKS for the "inside info" sabreschic87!!!