Friday, December 18, 2009

Where My Ladies At?

THESE ARE OUR STORIES
(How I Became a [Female] Hockey Fan)!

I was born in 1994, so a couple years after Mario. My mom and dad we're pretty big Mario fans, but after that they ultimately switched to the Blackhawks. Chelios it was. I can remember the first time I saw "Waynes World" was because
they had the Blackhawks symbol nearly everywhere. But I'm from St.Louis! Since almost the day I was born, we would sit there and watch Blue's games, and go go Blue's games.

At the time we lived in a smaller part of the $tL. My half brother, Ryan, had played ice hockey since the age of THREE! He switched back and forth from roller and ice, I can only vaguely remember the roller. Hockey was my life, and I was only a few years old. Days that he didn't have a game, or practice? Blues. I can remember getting really into it, and I fell in love with the game.

Your going to laugh at this one. I used to lay in bed with my family, and we would watch the game. Almost every time my dad would ask me "Who are you going to marry?" and I would say "BRETT HULL!" and I was about three.

My big brother was my bestfriend (And still is ;]) but he was also my half brother. We ended up moving to a much nicer part of Missouri (Probably even closer to the Savvis center) and he went to his moms house. I still went to his games.

When I was about nine, he was 13. He started travel hockey. I would get out of school countless times for a trip across the country. While my sister complained about nothing but hockey, I thought it was the best part of the trips!

When he started high school, things changed. He moved to his mom's and visited much less. I saw him almost never. We never watched the Blues on tv, they we're one of the worst teams in the league. I got caught up in a lot of other things when I was 14. I'm a girl, (Obviouslyyyy.) so I started to go shopping, hanging out with friends, facebooking, texting, you know, parties, makeup & doing my hair, school. The usual. To the people who say I'm not a real fan are FULL. OF. IT. This year, yes, 2009 I had come across Sidney Crosby. Let me tell you, I was blown away. And it was Valentines day(: I turned on a Penguins game and was sucked back in immediately.

Every single day since that day, I have done everything that I could do to prove I am Sid's biggest fan (Besides anything along the lines of stalking, I'm not a creeper.) There is thousands of pictures, videos, newspapers, and just about everything else. The media is obsessed with him!

Everything started to come back to me, how much I loved and missed the game of hockey. I would go home from school every single night and watched them beat almost every team. I let their loss's take a toll on me, that just the way I am.

My guy friends didn't even want to talk about it as much as I did. I'm no puck bunny (Unless it comes to Crosby.) I know much more than anyone does about the game. I know stats, I know numbers, and I KNOW that Sidney Crosby is the bigger package than Ovechkin! My entire life this year was about the playoffs!!!! I even got my whole family back into loving hockey. I find it amazing that the year I picked him, Sidney & the Pens got their OWN first stanley cup<3 - Ashlen
Yet again, another great story about the making of a [female] hockey fan -- THANK YOU for sharing, Ashlen!!

Don't forget, if you wish to submit your story, I kindly ask that you
email them directly to me so they don't end up being repetitive for some of the readers. Also, if you don't want me to include your name, please let me know that as well (what I'll normally do is put your first name and last initial if I have it OR just your screen name).

I also want to let you know I LOVE these stories (and so do alot of our readers) - I've always found it interesting no matter who the fan, so I'm enjoying ALL OF THIS IMMENSELY!! KEEP THEM COMING, but I ask that you email them please - THANKS!!!

Also, I ask that you please BE PATIENT as I've been receiving TONS of stories in addition to the ones that are already posted in some of the "comments" sections here that I'm hoping to re-post. If you sent in a story, it will eventually be on the blog - I promise!! ; ) JUST BE SURE TO KEEP THEM COMING (the more the better!)!!

thesteelcitysportsfan@gmail.com

2 comments:

Ashlen said...

Awhh thanks ;)

Maureen said...

Thumbs up! Great story Ashlen. :-)