I must admit that, at the moment, I haven't taken too kindly to Dan and everytime I see him during an interview or pre- / post-game conference, I find myself telling my husband that I think he looks smarmy and somewhat of a smartass (why? I have no idea!)!! My husband continues to tell me that he doesn't look like either of those things and chuckles at me.
So I've been trying to focus on the positive things about him. The first BIGGIE is that he's American-born!!! Hails from Grand Haven, Michigan (and I've decided to look past that fact to cut him a break for my own sake or else I'll never end up liking our IHC and that could be a really bad thing!).
The next good thing is that the guy is SHARP -- LOVE the suits so far (though I realize that he's married and has a wife with discerning taste who we all know full well takes care of him in that department, but I have to start somewhere, ladies, right?!!)!! And when I put all this other BS aside, he's actually kind of an attractive man (who wears glasses, no less -- now we all know how much I LOVE those!)!!
So, yeah, I guess ol' Danny Boy isn't that bad after all and how could I possibly resent a guy that looks like an innocent, playful little puppy dog (as in the above pic)?!!
Here are some more interesting tidbits I found out about Bylsma:
- Bylsma is pronounced "BILES-mah"
- is 38 years old and is currently the youngest coach in the NHL
- wife, Mary Beth, is a certified personal trainer (an All-Conference gymnist for Bowling Green)
- has one son, Bryan Thomas
- has his own webpage, http://www.danbylsma.com/
- played collegiate hockey for four years at Bowling Green State University - 1988-1992 (so he's intelligent too!)
- was drafted by the Winnipeg Jets in the 6th round (109th overall) during his freshman year of college in the 1989 draft, but never played a game for the team
- signed with the LA Kings in 1994 and played parts and most of the entire seasons in 1995-1996 through 1997-1998, and again in 1999-2000
- signed as a free agent by the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim in 2000; was named an alternate captain in his second season with the team and played with them through 2003-2004 (Petr Sykora was his teammate from 2002-2004!)
- retired following the 2003-2004 season
- wrote several books with his father, Jay - "So Your Son Wants to Play In the NHL," "So You Want to Play in the NHL," "Pitcher's Hands is OUT!" and "SLAM DUNKS Not ALLOWED!"
- became the assistant coach for the WB / S Baby Pens for the 2006-2007 season and was promoted to head coach this season (2008-2009) when HC Richards was hired as the assistant coach for the San Jose Sharks