Monday, November 16, 2009

Eastern Conference Eye Candy: Tuomo Ruutu (Carolina Hurricanes)

I'm probably one of the few women who's favorite Ruutu is Jarkko as the majority of the female hockey-loving population are head-over-heels for the youngest brother, Tuomo who plays for the Carolina Hurricanes. Canes Country is wild about him and he seems to be an even bigger heartthrob than Eric Staal - quite the ladies man from what I hear. I must admit, he is quite pretty (but Jarkko is still my favorite!)!!

HOCKEY FACTOR
Tuomo was drafted first in the 2001 Entry Draft by the Chicago Blackhawks (9th overall) and was acquired by the Carolina Hurricanes in February 2008 in exchange for Andrew Ladd.

He began his hockey career during the 1999-2000 season in a Finnish junior league playing for HIFK, played one game in the Finnish Elite League and made his NHL debut with the Blackhawks in 2003. During the NHL lockout of the 2004-2005 season, Ruutu returned to Finland and provided commentary for Finnish television during the ice hockey world championships along with fellow NHL'er Ville Nieminen; however, the following NHL season was cut short for him by injuries to his back then ankle which required two separate surgeries.

He was part of Team Finland in eight major international tournaments and helped them win the bronze and silver medals, respectively in 2006 and 2007, in the World Ice Hockey Championships.

After acquiring Tuomo in 2008, the Hurricanes signed him to a one-year / $2.25 million contract and recently extended his contract this past off-season with a three-year / $11.4 million. contract.


HOTNESS FACTOR
Well, first off, he's a Ruutu which I actually believe is Finnish for "HOT!" ; P

As with any hockey player, Tuomo is involved in many charities; his main focus being on UNICEF. Last year he participated in one of their campaigns in Finland to design a 120 cm smurf for the organization's anniversary! (VIDEO HERE!)

Like his oldest brother, Jarkko, he was also featured in a Snickers commercial in Finland - VERY CUTE (CLICK HERE to see it!)!!

Here's some interesting tidbits about Tuomo:

  • Mario Lemieux was his favorite hockey player growing up
  • he played soccer and participated in track & field events when he was younger
  • collects CD's of 1980's "hair bands"
  • favorite movie: "Dances with Wolves"
  • favorite meal: tradition Finnish meal of reindeer and mashed potatoes
  • favorite road city: New York
  • favorite road arena to play in: General Motors Place in Vancouver
  • favorite team to play against: Montreal
  • first job: retail (in a clothing store)
  • speaks English, Finnish, Swedish and some German

6 comments:

Val said...

What? Huh? Oh yeah, sorry, just had to change shirts because of the drool from my mouth re: this Ruutu - he is a beautiful sight!

Anonymous said...

My he is a beautiful piece of work. The last picture is my favourite!

Maureen said...

although he's not on my top list of hot hockey boys, he was DEFINITELY the cause of the drool on my keyboard....

MMMMMM....

Jay said...

My fave pic was the one of him lacing up his skates. those arms.... dear lord.

I must say, I prefer him with the facial hair.

Stephanie said...

@Val - you're funny (I enjoy your comments!)!! ; )

@Kristina H - the last one was one of my favorites too!!

@Maureen - not top on my list either, but he is pretty!!

@Jay - I LOVE that picture for the very same reason!! I LOVE when they show the locker room shots before the game for that very reason - I LOVE watching them lace up their skates to see their beautiful, LARGE arms!!!!! ; P

Joyce said...

Oh my . . . . he is muscular!!