Monday, February 8, 2010

Eastern Conference Eye Candy: Luke Schenn (Toronto Maple Leafs)

So when I started doing my "research" for this ECEC and looked through the pics, alot of what I found was him fighting ... this one's a little scrapper (and with a nickname like "the human eraser," he must be good at it) ... I LIKE IT!!! ; P

HOCKEY FACTOR:
For those of you who follow hockey outside of the NHL, Luke may already be somewhat familiar to you already. He had a pretty successful career in the WHL prior to being drafted #1 by the Leafs in 2008 (5th overall). He was part of Team Canada when they won gold in both the 2006 Under-18 World Championship and the 2008 World Junior Championships.

He's fairly new to the NHL with this being his sophomore season with the Leafs where he's been making a name for himself with them from the beginning. He actually made the team right out of his first training camp in 2008 - a story similar to that of Jordan Staal's. He recently played in his 100th career game last December 9th and registered two goals and three points with a plus-four (+4) rating (a career high) against Ottawa on February 6th.

He is currently ranked third among the team in hits (109).

Coming across so many pictures of him in the act of fighting, I got curious and looked Luke up on hockeyfights.com and it turns out Mr. Schenn is no "light-weight!" His fightcard spans across both his WHL and NHL careers (including the 2009-2010 pre-season!) and really isn't too shabby. My dilemma was whether or not I should write about it under "hockey" or "hotness" factor and decided to make it the last thing I write about in the "hockey factor" so that it's what transitions the reader into the "hotness factor." What's even more impressive is that he's taken on heavy-weights like Hartnell and Carcillo (anyone who throws-down with Philly scum is HOT in my book!)!

HOTNESS FACTOR:
He's a fairly large, heavy-hitting defenseman at 6'2, 215 pounds, so you just know he made all 109 of those hits count! But he started out playing hockey fairly early as most of them do; he started on his backyard rink at the age of four! For being so "manly" with his hard-nosed hockey skills, he more than makes up for it with his boyish good looks ... LOOK AT THOSE DIMPLES!!!

Well, not unlike our very own Sid, Schenn has graced the covers of a few magazines such as The Hockey News and "Canada's magazine of stylish living," SIR (LINK HERE, article starts on page 52).

And, of course, with his looks he has many admiring fans and some of them have even created fan pages for him (HERE, and HERE <-- I like this one's page description, "unofficial home of the human eraser" - COOL!). That nickname was actually bestowed upon him by the very bald Pierre McGuire (my mother always told me that if you can't say something nice then don't say anything at all ... the "very bald" is just FACT!)!!

He has a younger brother, Brayden, who was recently drafted by the LA Kings in similar fashion - 1st pick / 5th overall in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft (and a future WCH, no doubt ... especially with the Schenn blue eyes / blonde hair trait - Kena's favorite!).

For those of you who don't know him all that well, here are some of his FAVORITES:
  • NHL Team: Calgary Flames
  • NHL Player: Dion Phaneuf
  • Video Game: NHL 2008
  • Movie: Night at the Roxbury
  • TV Show: Prison Break
  • Actor/Actress: Will Ferrell and Jessica Alba
  • Group: Rascal Flatts
  • Pump-up song: “Don’t Stop the Music” by Rihanna
  • Food to cook: Steak
  • Sport (other than hockey): Golf
  • Activity away from the rink: Xbox
  • Place to visit: Hawaii

10 comments:

Maureen said...

I've liked him for years, from the WHL on up. He's a cool guy, and a scrappy fighter. He is definitely a cutie, and I'm glad he's getting some eye candy love.

Unknown said...

YAY! my favourite player! :)

Cat said...

Awww, he's adorable! Sooo cute! I will need to watch some Leafs hockey for him now.
Thanks for the "introduction"!

Dani said...

I'm ridiculously happy someone else besides me has noticed him. He's pretty badass and has had some awesome hits.

bozakattack42 said...

YESS! YOU PICKED MY FAVOURITE!!!!!
I live in Kelowna and I had season tickets for the Rockets the last year he was there .. which would've been the 07/08 season. He's amazing. I'm so glad I discovered him before he even got into the NHL. He's incredible, such a nice guy. I met him a few months ago at a bar in Vancouver after the Leafs played the Canucks. Nicest guy ever, we talked for a few minutes before he had to leave. He's gorgeous too, I mean that smile? Ow Ow baby<3

Meli said...

no lie, the photo of him playing golf is wonderful!

Stephanie said...

SO GLAD everyone is enjoying the "human eraser" ; )

I like that pic too, @Meli

Sam said...

Yesss! I was wondering if he had ever been the eye candy of the week. Even though I'm not a Buds fan, I do love Luke. He's great to look at and definitely a hard hitter. ;)

EHisCDN said...

I thought he had been picked already! Or else I would've suggested him a long time ago.

I have two friends who are absolutely obsessed with him. When the Pens were in town (Toronto) last year they totally manipulated [by manipulated I mean flirted their way past the guys at the door] their way into the ACC in order to see Schenn and Crosby.

My friend also has a pic of Schenn because she and her mum saw him in a parking lot.

Val said...

He's a doll, and one of the reasons I will watch the Leafs when I can catch them, and when it doesn't interfere with the Pens :)