Friday, February 5, 2010

Where My Ladies At?

THESE ARE OUR STORIES
(How I Became a [Female] Hockey Fan)!
I too have loved hockey a loooong time. When I was seven years old and saw the U.S beat Russia in the 1980 olympics I was totally hooked! I collected all the hockey cards I could get my grubby little paws on, I used to buy them at a little drug store in Jennerstown for 10 cents a pack. My most prized card was of course, Wayne Gretsky! (My house burned down when I was 10 so unfortunatley they are all gone). But I did pick some up 2 weeks ago at a flea market, I was practically giddy! My hubby thinks I'm a dork, but HE married me so what does that tell you? Anyway, I also have the Wheaties box with Mario, but alas, my Stanley Cup Coke can exploded right beside it and kind of ruined them both! (Boy was my mom pissed about all the sticky soda on the ceiling and walls!!) I can't win. Either way, we all have our reasons for the love of this truely unique game, good, bad or otherwise. Even though the players will change, and teams will live and die by their points come playoff time, women like us have just as much right to love this game as men. We have every right to know stats and standings, what PIM and SO stands for and be able to comprehend what the +/- is (even though we don't have to like that particular stat) No matter what age you are, were, or will be, Hockey IS the best game ever.

Christy
Christy, I totally agree with you!! You already know that I think we are very much alike in our thinking especially when it comes to hockey and it's just unbelieveable how similar our "how I became a fan" story is (right down to collecting hockey cards!)!! VERY COOL ... THANKS for sharing it with all of us, Christy!!

Don't forget, if you wish to submit your story, I kindly ask that you
email them directly to me so they don't end up being repetitive for some of the readers. Also, if you don't want me to include your name, please let me know that as well (what I'll normally do is put your first name and last initial if I have it OR just your screen name).

I also want to let you know I LOVE these stories (and so do alot of our readers) - I've always found it interesting no matter who the fan, so I'm enjoying ALL OF THIS IMMENSELY!! KEEP THEM COMING, but I ask that you email them please - THANKS!!!

Also, I ask that you please BE PATIENT as I'm still receiving TONS of stories in addition to the ones that are already posted in some of the "comments" sections here that I'm hoping to re-post. If you sent in a story, it will eventually be on the blog - I promise!! ; ) JUST BE SURE TO KEEP THEM COMING (the more the better!)!!

thesteelcitysportsfan@gmail.com

4 comments:

Rebel Heart said...

Loved your story, and especially the last line* Hockey really is the best sport*

Maureen said...

great story!!!! I love the part about the Stanley Cup Coke can!

Val said...

This is a great story, and I love the Stanley Cup Coke can explosion, as well! Thank you for sharing this with us!

Lauren said...

Great story! I can't wait until the Olympics!!!