Thursday, September 2, 2010

Where My Ladies At?

THESE ARE OUR STORIES
(How I Became a [Female] Hockey Fan)!
As I have read the other stories I have learnt that most of the other ladies are American. I thought I would share my personal experience since I am Canadian. From the moment I was born I have been exposed to hockey. Whether it was the Olympics or watching the World Junior Championships it has always been a family tradition to gather around the television set. When I was younger it was just something you always watched and therefore I was used to it. However my true obsession with the sport came when I was about 7 years old.

Every Christmas since I was about 7, I would recieve a sweater and a game ticket to my hometowns AHL team, The Hamilton Bulldogs. Going to games always excited me and it wasn't until I was about 11 years old did I realize that some players would make it to the NHL. Since I am from Southern Ontario it is quite obvious that I grew up as a Toronto Maple Leafs fan. It always made me laugh when my mother and grandfather ,who love Toronto, would have fun arguments with mydad who loves Boston and especially Bobby Orr.

I remember my first NHL game like it was yesterday. I was a 13 year old tomboy so being able to go to my first NHL game made me the happiest girl in the whole world. Seeing Toronto beat the Islanders at the Air Canada Centre engaged me in the love of the game even more then I knew before. The entire atmosphere showed how much everyone truly loved the game and being able to see my first favourite player, Curtis Joseph in real life was a memory I will never forget.

Even though I remember all the AHL and NHL games I have attended their is one game that I will always remember. In 2004, I was watching the World Junior Hockey Tournament on TV like every other year. I remember the first time I laid eyes on #28 (who is now #87) I knew he was going to be someone to watch. Seeing such an amazing player with such charisma both on and off the ice was overwhelming; it also helped that he was very attractive.

After the World Junior Tournment in 2004 everyone everywhere was talking about this boy from Cole Harbour Nova Scotia. After seeing Sidney Crosby win gold for Canada and then become the #1 draft pick made me one of his biggest fans. Since Sidney came in the league I started watching the Pittsburgh Penguins whenever I could and collected as much memorabillia that was accessible.

Now I am happy to talk to my friends about hockey and wear my Sidney Crosby jerseys and shirts whenever possible and with pride. I am also happy to announce that my parents have approved of my love for Pittsburgh even though we always have friendly bets on hockey games. So now in the basement of our house it is not just Toronto Maple Leafs, Boston Bruins and Bobby Orr things but now Pittsburgh Penguins and of course # 87.

Brianne. S
Hamilton, Ontario
Age 18
I have a soft spot in my heart for our neighbors to the north (I especially LOVE your accent!), so I'm always happy to hear from you and listen to all the great stories about hockey being a way of life and / or tradition ... I LOVE that!!!  And I can also relate to going to your first hockey game and falling more in love with the game ... that's what happened to me too (actually it happens EVERYTIME I go to a game at the Igloo - and now CONSOL).  THANKS for the awesome story, Brianne!!!

Don't forget, if you wish to submit your story, I kindly ask that you
email them directly to me so they don't end up being repetitive for some of the readers. Also, if you don't want me to include your name, please let me know that as well (what I'll normally do is put your first name and last initial if I have it OR just your screen name).

FEEL FREE TO INCLUDE A PICTURE!!


I also want to let you know I LOVE these stories (and so do alot of our readers) - I've always found it interesting no matter who the fan, so I'm enjoying ALL OF THIS IMMENSELY!! KEEP THEM COMING, but I ask that you
email them please - THANKS!!!

Also, I ask that you please BE PATIENT as I'm still receiving TONS of stories (they'll be posted in the order I received them, to be fair). If you sent in a story, it will eventually be on the blog - I promise!! ; ) JUST BE SURE TO KEEP THEM COMING (the more the better!)!! AS A NOTE, I'm currently on stories I received back in January 2010!!!


thesteelcitysportsfan@gmail.com

2 comments:

Ashlen said...

I love this one, the 28 to 87 made me smile.

Unknown said...

haha yeah people think i jumped on the bandwagon when crosby made it big but i remember him from before the draft:)