Friday, January 29, 2010

Where My Ladies At?

THESE ARE OUR STORIES
(How I Became a [Female] Hockey Fan)!

Most people start their story by saying that they were attending a Penguins game during the dark ages of few wins. My story starts last November.

I began to take interest in the Penguins when they made their run to the Stanley Cup Finals in 2008 when my dad, born and raised in Pittsburgh, had them on the TV every other day. I'd sit, and I'd watch, but wouldn't really get excited about them. I didn't even watch game 6 of the Finals. Despite this, I really liked the thought of hockey, so for my 16th birthday, my uncle got me tickets to a game on my birthday. We went and it was probably the best experience of my life. I loved it.

Two weeks prior to my birthday and the game, I had torn the ACL in my right knee on my first day of basketball practice and was scheduled to have surgery on December 23rd, just in time for Christmas... Now, I was confined to the couch for the next two weeks, and what's on TV almost every other day than the Penguins? I watched them religiously, and I'm pretty sure illegally on the internet. It took my mind off my limp and useless leg lying in front of me. When school started back up right after New Year's Eve, the Penguins were beginning to flail and fall quick.

My high school basketball team, where I was supposed to play Varsity for the second year, as a sophomore, was also beginning to fall to pieces without me, their inside presence, and a new coach. To take my mind off not being able to play, I watched hockey, and rooted on the Penguins through their slump, when they hired Dan Byslma, and when it looked like they wouldn't make the playoffs.

The Penguins made the playoffs as I was cleared to play again. We succeeded together; as I was getting better, they won 8 straight games or so. I loved the fact that they, a hockey team that had no idea I existed, helped me through my injury, or so I thought. Hockey kept my mind off of what was really happening. I made myself my own world and submersed myself to escape from everything. Now, I'm a diehard Penguins fan. I stalk the players after the games and I make sure I know what's happening at all times. I followed the off-season and wore black when Rob Scuderi was traded to the Kings. Female fans are known as puck bunnies, but I'd like to see any man one-up me on Penguin facts.

Jenna
AWESOME, Jenna!! I hope you're doing better now (it sounds like you are) and I hope your team is doing well too (still playing basketball, I assume). We all need outlets especially during rough patches - we've all been there ... teams, just as people, go through that too. I'm glad to hear that you stuck by our boys, Jenna, and gained some inspiration at the same time ... THANKS for sharing this with us, Jenna - it's a great story!!

Don't forget, if you wish to submit your story, I kindly ask that you
email them directly to me so they don't end up being repetitive for some of the readers. Also, if you don't want me to include your name, please let me know that as well (what I'll normally do is put your first name and last initial if I have it OR just your screen name).

I also want to let you know I LOVE these stories (and so do alot of our readers) - I've always found it interesting no matter who the fan, so I'm enjoying ALL OF THIS IMMENSELY!! KEEP THEM COMING, but I ask that you email them please - THANKS!!!

Also, I ask that you please BE PATIENT as I'm still receiving TONS of stories in addition to the ones that are already posted in some of the "comments" sections here that I'm hoping to re-post. If you sent in a story, it will eventually be on the blog - I promise!! ; ) JUST BE SURE TO KEEP THEM COMING (the more the better!)!!

thesteelcitysportsfan@gmail.com

2 comments:

Maureen said...

Thumbs up Jenna, Awesome story!!!!

So glad to hear that you're doing better too. What a great story, thanks for sharing with us. Glad to hear we have another die-hard fan on board.

Val said...

Jenna, that is awesome story...and I love your last sentence :) It sort of expresses how a lot of us ladies feel on this board!