Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Hotties of the Western Conference: Niklas Lidstrom (Detroit Redwings)

Before submitting myself to all of your conjectures, let me reiterate that I am not a Red Wings fan. That being said, I can't help but notice hot guys where ever I find them and now that I've admitted to that, lets get on to the good stuff, shall we? Great.

Here we have Niklas Lidstrom. I think he's the first defenseman we've scrutinized in this series (of articles) so far. Which is kind of strange, considering the fact that one of my favorite things about hockey is watching good defense. Oh well, onward...

IMPORTANT HOCKEY STUFF: It's hard to prove your mettle as a defenseman with numbers, but Nicklas Lidstrom has won pretty much every single honor of distinction available to someone who's specialty is defense. Starting with those 5 (I might be one off in either direction) Norris Trophies, Olympic Gold Medal, several World Championships, etc. He's the only European to ever win the Conn Smythe Trophy. He has 10 appearances in the All-Star game. His coach says that “he's the most professional person (in fact, he's so professional he rarely gets any penalty minutes which is unusual for a player who has caught my eye), I've ever seen,” and “he just doesn't make any mistakes.” When I get to watch, I always see him setting down there, just waiting like a cat to pounce on some unsuspecting forward. Yes, he's that good.

THE REALLY IMPORTANT STUFF: 6'1” 198lbs. Dark blond hair (which he thankfully keeps fairly short), with one of the most dangerous looking blue-eyed stares I think I've ever seen. [This video demonstrates it well - it starts at about 6 sec. in] I mean, the intensity of his stare is highly disconcerting. Kinda makes you want squirm, (and not just in a good way, either). In fact, he actually does make me squirm. I have every confidence that if he were in law enforcement, he could simply stare at criminals and they would confess every traffic ticket they ever received. It's no wonder everyone finds it hard to score on him. I'd really like to try, though (and I don't just mean hockey with that statement either). In other bonuses, he's got 4 beautiful boys (all of which are blond), so I get to be jealous of that too.

I can't imagine what it would be like challenging him on the blue line. Enough can not be said about his leadership capabilities. He leads by example. Nothing ever flusters him (although, again I'd like to try, [sly grin]).

[there's really no denying that Lidstrom is sexy - an attractive older man - distinguished (look at the bottom pictures). Kena will laugh at me for this!]

3 comments:

Life_As_A_Redhead said...

You're right, I did laugh.

Distinguished is so NOT what comes to mind...

But maybe it’s just me…

(I DO so enjoy your edits, they really add sparkle)

Meli said...

I'm going to have to agree with you 100%...especially since I am a wings fan (but I extremely dislike Hossa!!). That being said, Lidstrom is hot on the ice and off!! He's always led by example. Doesn't talk to much. Let's his work on the ice speak louder than any interview he does. He also has a very pleasent speaking voice with just a touch of an accent...

Lauren said...

yeah, the day I become a red wings fan will be the day after I drop down dead, but I do enjoy Niklas Lidstrom. Those blue eyes and handsome features always put a smile on my face!