Monday, July 20, 2009

Brooks Orpik at BC with the Stanley Cup (A Fan's Account)

I was lucky enough to have a reader get a first-hand account of Orpik's visit to Boston College with the Cup yesterday and e-mail me afterwards.
It was awesome! I got there early so I was in good position when they finally let people in (about 15 min late). The organizers did next to nothing. There were no signs or anything of where to go (and it was a BIG building) and there was no clear line so it became a bit of a "rush the door" when they started, but no fights broke out so it went ok. Anyway, Brooks was a total sweetheart. He was taking photos with everyone and signing stuff too. He has a really nice smile and wasn't intimidating at all close up. Which is not to say I'd ever want to face him on the ice, but off the ice he seems just genuinely nice. I even got to shake his hand - it's like a big soff bear paw. :)

I didn't get a chance to spend much time up close and personal with the Cup, but to even get to touch it seemed so special. I felt like a loser afterwards thought because all of the things I thought of saying went out the window when I had the moment. I was totally tongue tied ... It took over an hour to get there and another hour to get home, but it was totally worth it. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. :)


A BIG THANK YOU goes out to Cathy Z. for sharing her experience and photos!!!

1 comment:

Val said...

Thanks, Kathy for sharing that...how awesome that you got to shake his soft bear paw of a hand :)